In our Estate Vineyards
Fall is by far the busiest time of year in our vineyards as we are harvesting our 150 acres of biodynamic grapes. Our vineyard crew handpicks the grapes from both of our vineyards overnight, starting around 10pm and continuing until daybreak. They pick at night to avoid the intense daytime heat and to ensure the grapes arrive at the winery cold and in good condition come morning. They will pick anywhere from a couple of tons to up to 25 tons per night, depending on how the grapes are maturing and what the weather forecast looks like. Our vineyard crew has the important job of being our first sorters, selecting only the highest quality clusters to be turned into wine.
Inside our Winery
All our wines are crafted through small lot winemaking in order to capture the individuality of each block on both of our vineyards. As the different grape varieties arrive to the winery crushpad, we keep the various blocks, clones, and rootstocks separated during the winemaking process. We then blend our wines from this collection of small lots so that each wine has more depth and distinct layers of flavor.
Our white wines are made by fermenting grape juice:
1. Grape clusters are put directly into the press and are pressed for their juice.
2. The juice is put into stainless steel tanks/barrels or older oak barrels, where it settles and is clarified.
3. The fermentation begins slowly at a cool temperature, taking between two to four weeks depending on the variety and what it’s fermented in.
4. The wine ages for between five to eight months and is then bottled.
Our red wines are made by fermenting the grapes themselves, not the juice:
1. Grape clusters are put on a conveyer, where they are examined for overall quality.
2. The clusters fall into a destemmer which separates the berries from the stem, and then the berries fall through a multi-layer berry sorter which takes out jacks and underripe berries.
3. The grapes are put into a box or tank where they will soak for three to five days depending on the variety.
4. We add some heat to the tank or move the box into the sunshine, where warmer temperatures will kick off the fermentation process.
5. The red grapes ferment on the skins in these tanks/boxes for as little as 12 days or as many as 21 days. We will pump over the tanks and punch down the boxes one or two times a day in order to break-up and submerge the cap (grape skins and seeds) into the wine.
6. Once fermented to almost dry, we drain the tanks/boxes in order to get the free run wine which is the highest quality wine.
7. The tanks/boxes are drained into the press and a gentle press begins. This first press wine is usually combined with the free run wine. We continue to press the grapes for several cycles, until all of the wine has been extracted.
8. The wine is put into oak barrels, where it will age for anywhere between 10 to 30 months before being bottled.
Visit Our Working Winery Estate
Fall is an incredible time of year to visit our estate in Los Olivos; the vineyard is turning a golden yellow, and as the leaves start to fall, our grapevines are exposed. We’ve had a little bit of rain so we’re starting to see some green grass in the fields, too!
You can book your reservation here or call us at 805−688−8664 ext. 200. We are open for wine tastings and gazebo reservations daily, and look forward to seeing you soon!
Wines in This Release
Select a wine below for more details
Bright and lifted aromas of Granny Smith Apple, candied lemon, pear, and mineral soar from the glass. The flavors are on target with more lemon, lime, apple, and mineral that are focused and intense on the palate. Aged in a combination of older oak and stainless steel with inhibited malolactic fermentation, the wine is bright and juicy with a very long finish. Drink this wine over the next decade. Crafted from 100% certified biodynamic grapes.
Complex aromas and flavors of bright red fruits, spices, and a savory note that is not typical of this bottling, the 2020 SYV Grenache excels from this hotter than normal vintage. Plush and round on the palate, with fine tannins that frame the expressive flavors, this wine is drinking beautifully now and will age for at least the next decade or more.
The finest Barrel Select Cuvee wine we have ever produced, the 2019 blends 48% Syrah, 27% Grenache and 25% Mourvedre. The wine is delicious and is centered around an amazing core of dark fruit and spice flavors. The Syrah leads the way with dark fruit and game aromas, the Grenache lifts the palate keeping this intense wine light on its feet, while the Mourvedre provides some structure and length on the finish with dark fruit and spice character that lasts. The balance of the wine is impeccable and it should age beautifully for the next 20-25 years.
Block Six was the first section of Purisima Mountain Vineyard to be farmed biodynamically starting in 2002 and is the highest elevation block in the vineyard featuring significant deposits of chalky limestone. These factors contribute to a wine that has consistently been our finest Syrah bottling.
Classic Block Six Syrah aromas of game, pepper, blackberry, chocolate, and mineral highlight the 2019 vintage. Another stellar year for this wine, the palate is packed with more spice, dark fruits, chocolate, and plum with amazing texture, fine tannins, and balanced acidity. Delicious as usual, the 2019 should age beautifully for the next 25-30 years. Crafted from 100% certified biodynamic grapes.